Birth Through Five B.S.E.
Faculty in the undergraduate Birth Through Five B.S.E. program prepare teachers and other early care and education professionals to work in varied settings with young children and their families from infancy through kindergarten age, including children who are typically developing and those with disabilities. Students receive content and pedagogy in developmentally and individually appropriate practices for infants, toddlers, preschoolers and kindergarten age children. The program provides a multidisciplinary, comprehensive and holistic approach to working with young children and families in diverse settings. A broad range of courses and practicum will strengthen students’ knowledge and ability to select and implement appropriate curriculum and instructional strategies, developmental activities and care routines, and observation and assessment methods. Students completing the Birth through Five preparation program may be recommended for certification in both birth through kindergarten as well as the endorsement in pre-school special education (3-5).
- Core curriculum completed (you may apply to the B-5 program the semester before you complete all core requirements)
- Minimum GPA of 2.75
- Passing score on the GACE Basic Skills Assessment or SAT/ACT exemption
- Criminal background check
Job opportunities in the B-5 field include:
- Certified Kindergarten and Pre-K Teacher
- Head Start Program Professional
- Early Childhood Program Director
- Child Care Teacher
- Preschool Special Education Teacher
- Home Visitor Program Specialist
- Family Agency Professional
- Child Care Center Owner-Operator
- Early Intervention Specialist
Financial Aid Opportunities for Students Working in Early Care and Education:
In addition to the HOPE Scholarship and Pell Grant, there is a source of financial aid that may be available to students who are employed in early care and education in Georgia. To check eligibility requirements for the Bright from the Start: Georgia Department of Early Care and Education SCHOLARSHIPS program, visit www.caresolutions.com.
Birth Through Five Scholarship:
Georgia State University has partnered with Atlanta Technical College, Georgia Piedmont Technical College and Gwinnett Technical College to select up to ten technical college early childhood education graduates for B-5 STAR scholarships. Learn more about this scholarship