Early Childhood Education M.A.T.
The M.A.T. in Early Childhood Education is an opportunity for practicing teachers to work towards both a Master’s degree and initial certification in Pre-K through 5th grades. Students in the program teach in their classrooms, while simultaneously exploring best teaching practices, reflective teaching strategies, and possibilities for professionalizing themselves in the urban classroom.
Coursework has been carefully built to support new teachers as they work in high-needs schools in the metro-Atlanta area. Key components of the MAT program include:
- Instructional Coaching provided by faculty who regularly join students in their classrooms to help them connect what they learn in course work to their practices with young learners.
- Student-centered goal setting experiences, in which students determine their own goals for their teaching and learning practices.
- Instructional strategies specific to English/Language Arts, Literacy, Math, Science, and Social Students.
- Community-Building possibilities for teachers to use with young learners who are being prepared to thrive in a 21st century democracy and work force.
- Considerations of justice, equality, and hope in urban classrooms across courses throughout the program.